Sunday, June 8, 2014

DOING MY PART

I will begin this by saying, I don't know what I'm talking about. That is to say, I can't be certain of anything regarding global warming or the new disaster, climate change. But it seems I'm in good company. Apparently, nobody knows. In any point/counterpoint debate, both sides make excellent arguments. I have been watching the new Cosmos series regularly and did not miss last week's thorough discussion about how the earth is going to evaporate if we don't stop mowing our lawns. OK . . .that wasn't in there. But that is how I felt. I am practically single handedly at fault for what will soon be a rise in the oceans so devastatingly bad that the Daytona 500 will soon be a boat race.

So here's my problem. To this point, it still appears that either side could be right. Knowing that however, naturally leads to the argument that if the world is warming up, humans must drastically change their lives to keep it from happening. “We just can't take the chance that we are wrong”, they say. I understand that too. What has me a bit skeptical about this entire issue is the fact that the topic's point and counterpoint fall strictly down political lines. Liberals urge the need to control human behavior and conservatives say, “Not so fast”.

In the late 1990's I attended a talk by Mikhail Gorbachev at the University of Georgia that disturbed me just a bit. Throughout his career, he was pretty good at disturbing people. He discussed the fact that he had founded an organization called Green Cross International in 1993, just 2 years after the fall of the U.S.S.R. He eluded to the idea that GCI's purpose was to infiltrate environmentalist organizations and, with the right propaganda and phony climate fraud, environmentalists would be easy targets as unwitting minions. He said that with an issue like Global Warming, the only way it could be solved, if it even could, assuming it were real, would be by a global government dictating and rationing the worlds resources. Being somewhat amazed by what I heard, I though maybe the translator was mixing up words and that Gorbachev hadn't said it exactly that way. But as time went on, that is exactly how it played out. The “Green Movement” became a liberal base from which governments could control human behavior. And Mikhail Gorbachev was one of their leaders.

Jumping up to today, most of how it all got started has been replaced by a general acceptance that Grandma is a scumbag if she doesn't get rid of her Cadillac Escalade and buy a Smart Car.


So, I'll end this where I began. I don't know. It does seem though, that there is a rush to judgment that is driven by political motives rather than humanistic concerns. Maybe a political compromise should be considered. Here is mine. Someone please tell Barack Obama that if he would OK the Keystone XL Pipeline Project, I'll stop mowing the lawn.  

1 comment:

Dave Bates said...

First of all, nobody really knows or understands the true causes of climate change, regardless of how knowledgeable they claim to be. That said, it is my humble opinion that climate change is a function of natural fluctuations in Earth cycles. It has happened in the past (tropical climates during the Jurassic Epoch, Ice ages, etc.) and will doubtless happen in the future. The difference now is that we, as rational and seemingly intelligent beings, have the power to at least partially prevent some of the long-term damage climate change will inflict. It is no longer a question of if climate change is happening but when the point of no return will be reached. Shouldn't we, as self-proclaimed custodians of the planet, at least take a bit of responsibility for curbing the decline? Does that mean we all give up driving our cars? Of course not. That just ain't a'gonna happen and anyone who thinks it will faces a long frustrating life.
I have been an advocate for the environment most of my adult life, both on a personal and professional level, and I have always believed that mankind and the environment can live in harmony. What we need to realize, however; is that there comes a point where the last tree is felled, the last fish is caught and the last gallon of water is used. These are realities that the ecological naysayers refuse to acknowledge.